Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Lincoln City & Newport

I am drawing a blank right now of anything that really stood out to me on the ride from Tillamook to Lincoln City, but once I think a little more I remember how golden it was that morning. Everything had that gilded look to it. The coastal range in the background had a shimmer, the giant airplane museum was reflecting a bright hue of gold, and the green grass fusing with the morning sun seemed too good to be true.

The pasture lands were lovely to ride through and soak in. This was the real memorable part for me. I know there was other stuff but I am just blanking so I am going to move on.

We stayed at Devils Lake that evening where we met up with 3 separate people touring in various length trips; only one really chatted with us, David, a nordstroms shoe salesman from Portland. He was just doing a 8 day tour along the coast. He is probably in his mid to late 30s and just a kind person eager to chat with others. He noted how he was enjoying the solitude of the biking but had been missing out on socializing at the days end so glad we were there that night. We actually stayed the next day at the same campground just outside of Newport too. 

Remembering a little more from that day, the bike route took a detour from the 101 and too us along Old 101 where the road was filled with unevenness and pot holes. It was much more scenic and almost vacant as we climbed switchbacks to the top of a hill. Obviously on the 101 there was a hill and we would have to go up and over it at some point and the route took us on a more safe and secluded part so we wouldn't be slowing down the rest of traffic.

Moving on to heading to Newport; we got up and packed up and did our push-ups for the day. We've been trying to do sets of push-ups every morning so we don't look strange with huge legs and twigs for arms. 

More awesome weather as we rode along the ocean with endless beaches and turn offs so one could soak in the spectacular views. Being on bikes we are limited on what we can see and do; I think I had certain grand ideas of camping on the beach and stopping a lot to explore around the beach cliffs but we just aren't able to do that all the time. We pull off at most viewpoints but to be honest lots of places on the coast look the same so we keep riding but we make sure we take time to soak in the spots that really stand out to us.

Newport is home to Rogue Brewery so obviously we had to stop and get some food and drinks. We had a good time just laughing and hangin out then we went to our campsite just down the road. I did somehow get a flat when we were at rogue cause I came out to a dead flat back tire. At the campsite I patched up my tube and found an industrial size staple piece lodged in my tire so I removed it and am up and running. 600 or so miles isn't bad for having 1 flat out of 6 tires. 

Just had a chill evening at our campsite in the trees and we chatted with some other cyclists before heading to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment