Monday, August 26, 2013

Rest day in Seaside

Awoke to condensation in the tent and laid my sleeping bag out in the sun and grabbed my book to read for a bit. We planned on making today a day off from riding before we head to the farm in Nehalem. 

Let me note this is the second attempt to write this post; I had finished and hit send and my phone crashed losing the post. Sorry if it is short.

I reactivated my phone by plugging it in to the laptop of our hosts but it still has issues. We washed our smelly clothes and waited for them to dry so we'd have something to wear for the day. 

Blake was getting a ride from a friend into Portland for a couple of days then he's planning on riding to meet us at the farm. Evan and I went to the bike shop to get his headset adjusted and top off our tires. I meandered to a book store and then down to the beach where I chatted with a strangely vague man for some time. He was fascinated with our trip but every time I asked him about his life he skirted around it. So I thanked him for the friendly conversation and met Evan at Seaside brewery for lunch.

Let me preface this by saying I'm basically trying all the veggie burgers down the coast when we stop in somewhere to eat. I was really disappointed by Seaside Brewery not only did they not have any of their own beers on tap but they were using Morning Star black bean veggie patties which I sometimes get myself. I should know tourist town and tourist prices doesn't mean good food. I could have made a better burger and fries for the amount I paid for it all. I hope this is the last time I ramble about veggie patties.

Ev and I rode out along the coastal bike path out past the crowds and to a bench to read, journal, and nap. Basically Evan was reading aloud to me because he was just loving his book and felt the urge to share. I've been there, most recently with Michael Pollan's 'Omnivores Dilemma' just ask Nate, Dani, and Joey. It was still a nice time to hangout and soak in the mind boggling notion of the ocean.

Once the sun started setting and the temperature dropped right along with it, we started biking the 3 miles back to our host's house. Hungry, we decided to try the 'The Great Wall' Chinese restaurant across the street which was good but a ton of food. Darkness was upon us and we meandered around the covered picnic table before retreating into our tent for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment