Thursday, August 22, 2013

Visit from my family

Woke up early since the sun was out in force. Packed up and headed towards the 101 to start our short day of riding. Aberdeen was on the agenda being 44 miles away. Seemed like a lot of it was somewhat downhill which our legs enjoyed. 

Made good time into Holquiem just outside of Aberdeen by a couple miles when we came across Hum-Dinger a greasy outdoor diner that Evan and I ate at a lot on our TransAmerican trip. They are always the best. The older sassy women were loving our tuxedo jerseys even telling Blake to ride in his birthday suit. 

I inhaled my veggie burger, onion rings, and chocolate milk shake before the other guys ate half of theirs. I'm blanking on the adage about a hungry man and a veggie patty but it's somewhere. 

We then rode to Aberdeen looking for Internet at a cafe or something but all there seemed to be was a Starbucks and McDonalds so we rose to the next town Cosmopolis to a fun spot that just closed but the owners live there so they kept it open. We chatted with them about their establishment and how they moved from California and how they always wanted to run a cafe that served organic food and coffee and supported local arts and music. We congratulated them and encouraged them to keep it up and start a farmers market in their parking area. 

We finished our muffins and smoothies then huffed it up a decent hill to Artic RV and Campground where we got a spot. Great little place and the owners love cyclists. They cut us a special deal and then took us on a walking your of their backyard showing off a huge garden, apple and kiwi trees, and wonderful flowers. They allow anyone staying to harvest whatever is there; the onions, lettuce, and green beans are tempting us so perhaps tomorrow we will take a little.

My brother, Leo, his wife, Jenny, and my niece, Ruth-Ann, tracked us down from their hometown of Olympia and brought us 2 big pizzas, salad, chocolate cake, and green tea. It was so awesome to see them and for them to bring such a feast. Sadly we didn't have much time but it was worth it to have some laughs, hugs, and to chase little Ruthie around the grass and spin her around until we were both walking like drunken sailors as my dad calls it.

Said our goodbyes and many thank yous and my family headed back home. I was thinking as I was riding today how blessed I am and I don't expect anyone to go out of their way for me but it sure is nice when they do. Couldn't be more thankful for the blessings of family and food.

*Almost forgot, as we were riding today Evan points to a sign and as I turn to read it I veer slightly over the white line as a logging truck was coming. Closer than I'd like to be but still a 'safe' distance away. Was reminded to be in constant control of my bike even when I'm rubbernecking a sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment